Bead Soup Reveal!

Written By bombomtox on Sep 16, 2011 | 8:59 PM

My very first BSBP- how exciting! Lori Anderson went above and beyond in organizing over 360 of us from around the country and world, into pairs- quite the feat! In my previous post, you can see the wonderful stash of beads that Dana's Jewelry Design sent my way. We both thought alike with the antique brass chain/findings/goodies so it was fun to be able to put them to use. She gifted me with such a variety of things that it made choosing a direction a little bit of a challenge, but such a nice one!

The rules were as follows: You must have a blog (the incentive to get mine going) and you must send your partner a party pack containing a focal, some coordinating beads or spacers, and some kind of a special clasp. You had to use the focal and closure you were sent, and could add to the rest of the pack that from your own stash. Dana sent me greens, blues, browns and creams- such a choice! 


After pondering and changing my mind multiple times, I kept coming back to the magnetic door focal and the greens, and the idea of a garden began to emerge  I loved the variety of greens and yellows. I  also wanted to use some simple chain maille techniques ( something I've been enjoying lately) and to jump out of my little symmetry box. Now, I am NOT a gardener- family, friends and neighbors can attest to that (think black thumb :/) but I do enjoy looking at the results of those who are. One of my favorite books growing up was The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It was given to me by my Great Aunt Win- my "birthday" aunt, and when I looked at the secret door, inspiration began.

Here is the result:
Started with the lovely little door,wrapped on the pretty green quartz briolette and Swarovskis and added a little love- can't have a garden without it!

Then I did some simple byzantine chain maille on one side with the Chinese jade and bead caps on one side, and used part of the toggle clasp as a design element because I love the flower designs- too pretty to hide at the back. Mix it all together, let it simmer like a good soup should, add a few extras in and it's ready to serve.
I love it! and it's something I'm going to wear a lot. I give away or sell a lot of things that I make, but this one's mine. It represents exploring new things, planting new seeds and a wonderful experience. Dana included more of the briolettes, so I'll be making a pair of matching earrings ( yes, I'm a set kind of person). Thank you again, Dana, for your generosity.

(All through the making of this a song by one of my favorite worship artists kept running through my head. If you've never listened to, or heard of, Jonathan David Helser, do yourself a favor and listen to "The Reward" about what started in the garden.  It's number nine on the media player. He's an amazing, anointed musician who's passionate about sharing the heart and love of God.)

Then I looked at what was left- still so much to choose from, and yesterday morning I remembered a bracelet I had seen at American Eagle a store my daughters shop at, and realized I had the makings for a quick little bracelet. What to see? Here it is.



It just happened to match perfectly with what I was wearing yesterday, and as I love bracelets, it kept me company and made me smile every time I looked at my wrist. The beads are strung on Stretch Magic, so it's easy to get on and off and the chain gives it a different look. Bev from Flamingo Toes is always posting wonderful tutorials on how to do knock offs from famous stores, and I thought of her while doing this.

Don't forget to click on the link and visit Dana's blog to see what she created. Want to see more? Click on Bead Soup link for a full list of all the participants. It's going to take me awhile, but I plan on visiting all as many as I can.

Hoping your day has a splash of grace and a dash of joy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment